Mold, Your Business, and Agency Regulations

By Skylar Price

For any size business owner, it’s important to provide many things for their employees. Besides a paycheck, tax documents, and other paperwork, employers are required by federal regulations to provide a safe and hazard-free workplace. These regulations do not cover only structural components of your business, but also air quality. Mold that is allowed to grow in your place of business can seriously undermine your efforts in reaching and maintaining compliance with these many regulations. Some regulations are also found at the state level.

Regulations such as OSHA‘s do not specifically address the spores that can cause allergic reactions in many individuals, nor the mycotoxins that can cause adverse health effects in people, making it challenging for employers and business owners to know when they are falling out of compliance. Because the language that many of these regulations are written in remains vague, it is always beneficial for everyone involved to take a proactive stance against mold and the many causes that create situations that can allow it to grow quickly. Vague language can sometimes be detrimental to even the most conscientious of business owners when dealing with federal agencies.

mold colonies

Once mold has started to grow, it quickly sends off spores. These spores are so small they can be carried by air alone, but are often carried by moisture and even insects, like bees carry pollen. When the spore lands somewhere, it quickly will take hold and begin to grow, forming its colony. This is one reason why mold is so difficult to eradicate. These spores can remain inactive for extended periods, waiting for when the environmental conditions are right for them. They can be tucked away inside air filtration systems, behind walls, under carpets, and on top of fabrication equipment.

Most molds are naturally found outside but are tracked in by people’s shoes and boots from outdoors. Because there aren’t any of the natural environmental aspects, such as rain, direct and unfiltered sunlight, wind, and even natural predators, such as the mold mite, to keep mold growth to a minimum indoors. It can rapidly grow and spread throughout an entire building. Obvious signs of mold growth are visible, but sometimes, it is only a musty odor that has no visible source. Mold is well-known for growing well in small hidden areas, such as above or below machinery. If employees bring snow or rainwater into your factory, and the moisture from their footwear ends up under a machine, this would create a perfect breeding ground for mold.

If you own a business and have reason to believe that there is mold growing on your business site, warehouse, or factory, you should make a call to professionals who understand not only how prolifically mold grows, but also what the dangers are of engaging in mold clean-up.

 

www.servprorexburgrigby.com
www.servproidahofalls.com
nationaldisasterrecovery.org/id-idaho-falls
nationaldisasterrecovery.org/id-rexburg
rexburgwaterdamage.blogspot.com
idahofallsfiredamage.blogspot.com

Save

Save

Why Professionals Should Clean Up Fire Damage

By Skylar Price

The dangers may seem to have passed after the firefighters have left and your home is safe from more destruction. However, without professionals to help clean the damage from smoke, you won’t be able to return your home to normal. Even though the ideas behind fire restoration are pretty simple, it needs a lot of manpower and experience to adequately perform, so, therefore, a homeowner should not try to do it on their own. Once the fire is put out, it leaves behind its continual effects on the house. Smoke and ash, if left unattended, can cause quite a bit of corrosion, discoloration, and strong lingering odors. A professional fire remediation company can stop this before it is a big problem, as long as you contact them right away.

Professionals can clean up damage from smoke and restore items that are affected by fire.
Professionals can clean up damage from smoke and restore items that are affected by fire.

Professionals can clean up damage from smoke and restore items that are affected by fire. They have to be contacted as soon as possible to stop the issues from ash residue. Ash will discolor most of the surfaces in the home if left alone. Any plastic items near the fire will begin discoloring in minutes, and fiberglass and appliance finishes will start to yellow within several hours. Metals could tarnish as well, and after a few days pass, the ash can cause the walls to discolor permanently, along with upholstery and clothing. Vinyl and wood will have to be replaced or refinished, and metal will begin to corrode.

If you do not obtain a professional to clean up fire and smoke damage, the restoration costs will go way up after a few weeks. Metals could need to be replaced; carpet will discolor permanently and glass could be severely etched, which will ensure it needs to be replaced as well. You could also notice that the odors from the disaster are still present and intense enough to be bothersome. Since ash is acidic, the longer you wait to hire an expert, the more destruction it will cause.

A certified, trained, professional company will first identify all of the affected materials and the odor source when they get to your property. The only way to clean fire damage and smoke properly is to be very thorough. You can easily disturb ash residue and then it will spread through your home quickly, causing just about everything to need restoration. The experts can identify what can and cannot be saved, and will get rid of any ash residue that is built-up and covering surfaces. Ash builds up in layers over time, and could eventually turn into a lacquer-like consistency. After this is done, the professionals will find the odor’s source and use specialized detergents to treat it with, which are made for neutralizing these odors. After the material is treated, it could be sealed off to stop any more odors from permeating the air.

When it comes to fire damage, hiring a professional restoration company is the correct choice. They are qualified to handle any fire damage that has occurred on your property. With their help your residential property will be back to normal in no time.

http://www.servprorexburgrigby.com/
http://www.servproidahofalls.com/
http://nationaldisasterrecovery.org/servpro-of-idaho-falls/
http://nationaldisasterrecovery.org/servpro-of-rexburg-rigby/
http://rexburgwaterdamage.blogspot.com/
http://idahofallsfiredamage.blogspot.com/